KAILASH-MANASAROVAR OVERLAND TOUR: 14 DAYS (13 NIGHTS)
Day 01: Arrival to Kathmandu
Arrival in Kathmandu at Tribhuvan International Airport, meet by our representative with warm welcome than transferred to Hotel. At evening, short briefing program on tour by our tour manager and dinner. O/N Hotel.
– Overnight stay at Hotel (Twin Sharing Basis)
Day 02: Kathmandu Sightseeing
After breakfast we will go for the sightseeing of holy places located in Kathmandu valley. I.e. Pashupatinath Temple, Gueshwori ( One of Shaktipit ) & Narayanthan ( Sleeping Bishnu). O/N Hotel in Kathmandu.
– Sightseeing by Private bus with A/C.
DAY 03: DRIVE, KATHMANDU- SHYABRUBESHI
Early morning, you will be setting off for Syabrubeshi. Syabrubeshi, a small town, borders with Kyirong county of Tibet/ China, situated about 170 km north of Kathmandu. This fascinating country drive takes approximately 8 hours to reach Syabrubeshi. Some 70 km part of the highway is very slender; so it can be a risky journey to drive fast. Lunch will be served on the way & overnight stay in guesthouse/ hotel in Syabrubeshi.
– Overnight stay at Guesthouse (Dormitory room with common toilet)
– Kathmandu to Shyabrubeshi: 170 km | 6 hours drive.
– Elevation of Syabrubeshi: 1450 m. | 4756 ft.
DAY 04: CROSS THE BORDER THEN DRIVE TO KYIRONG VALLEY
Morning after breakfast, drive to friendship bridge. The distance to drive is approximately 10 k.m. You will cross the friendship bridge and go through the immigration formalities and continue drive to Kyirong valley. It is 22 km driving distance from friendship bridge to Kyirong valley.
– Overnight Guesthouse/ hotel (Dormitory room with common Tibetan toilet)
– Shyabrubeshi to Border: 10 km | 15 minutes.
– China/ Tibet border to Kyirong town: 22 km | 1 hour
– Elevation of Kyirong: 2600 m. | 8528 ft.
DAY 05: REST IN KYIRONG FOR ACCLIMATIZATION PURPOSE
Today, you will stay in Kyirong for acclimatization purpose. It is advisable to walk around the city to keep your body active. It is also better to do a mild hiking during the day time and keep drinking lots of water.
– Overnight Guesthouse (Dormitory room with common Tibetan toilet)
– Elevation of Kyirong: 2600 m. | 8528 ft.
DAY 06: DRIVE, KYIRONG TO OLD DONGBA
The very first Tibetan town you will reach from Kyirong is Saga. Saga is situated at the bank of River Brahmaputra that origins in Kailash. From Kailash the river flows to Lhasa then drops to Asam from Arunchal Pradesh. Our destination of today is old Dongba. Old Dongba is about 140 km far from Saga. The total driving hours of today is 220 km and it takes about 5 hours.
– Overnight Sishapangma Guesthouse or similar (dormitory bedroom)
– Kyirong to old Dongba: 220 km | 6 hrs drive
– Elevation of old Dongba: 4500 m. | 14760 fts.
DAY 07: DRIVE FROM OLD DONGBA TO LAKE MANSASAROVAR (CHIU GOMPA)
Early morning, you will depart from old Dongpa to further destination, lake Manasarovar. After reaching Horchu (the east coast of Lake Manasarovar), you will change the Bus and start making a circumambulation (parikrama) of this holy lake on Bus from clockwise direction. On the way, we will make a halt in a suitable place (at the Bank of Lake Manasarovar) for holy dip & performing pooja & hawana. Evening reach Chiugompa and stay overnight in Guesthouse.
– Overnight Guest House (dormitory bed rooms)
– Old Drongba to Lake Manasarovar: 325 km | 6 hrs drive.
– Elevation of Lake Manasarovar: 4550 m. | 14924 fts.
– Puja and Hawana at the Lakeshore during the course of parikrama.
DAY 08: DRIVE, LAKE MANASAROVAR TO DARCHEN
Darchen is situated 35 km north of lake manasarovar is a small town on the foothill of Kailash. Also, this is the gateway to Parikrama. From here, the trek starting point (Yama Dwar) is about 5 km.
DAY 09: DRIVE, TO YAMA DWAR THEN START TREKKING TO DHIRAPUK VIA DARCHEN
Darchen is the gateway of trekking around mount Kailash. It is situated on the foothill of mount Kailash, below the south face. Asthapad is situated 4 km up in the mountain and Tarboche (Yama Dwar) is 7 km west from Darchen. A complete circumambulation of mount Kailash commences from this point and ends here. The total circumference of mount Kailash from Darchen to Darchen is 52 km. Darchen offers an array of accommodation-quality than any other places en route to Kailash.
As usual, we will be ready to move on from Manasarovar to Tarboche (Yam Dwar) after breakfast. The drive takes about an hour as we have to make a brief halt in Darchen to process for local permit. Yam Dwar is the best vantage point that provides splendid views of south and west faces of mount Kailash. This is probably the best place to have a closed view. Those; who are not undertaking circumambulation trip are advised to visit Tarboche.
Tarboche is the place where our horse/s, yak/s and porter/s are gather and accompany us for trekking part. Those, who are participating for circumambulation, will move ahead to Deraphuk from this point and rest will return to Darchen and wait until the people return from parikrama. The complete trek around mount Kailash takes 3 days. The distance of first day’s trek (from Yama Dwara to Deraphuk) is about 10 km. only and it takes 5 to 7 hours approx. to cover the distance.
The entire trail up to Deraphuk is reasonably flat with gentle ascend, however due to its extreme elevation, we may feel very exhausted, and need to have break on the way very frequently. The last legs of the journey is tough with rapid ascend. But, it is only for half an hour.
Deraphuk stands at an elevation of 4920 m. The north face of mount Kailash is just a few thousands meters away from here. This is the only place to have a close view of north face.
– Overnight Guesthouse
– Tarboche (Yama Dwar) to Deraphuk: 10 km | 5 to 7 hours walk.
– Elevation of Deraphuk: 4920 m. | 16138 fts.
DAY 10: TREK TO SHIVASTHAL, GAURIKUNDA (5620 m) THEN ZUTULPHUK
Today is the toughest & longest journey of this trip. We have to trek almost 22 km through rugged highland to reach Zutulphuk. Literally, we have to pack up our gear and set off from hotel at 5 a.m. Chinese time. Initially, it is an uphill trek from Deraphuk but after walking for an hour or so, the trail turns into mild ascend. Half of the trail passes through an elevation of 4900 m./16,000 ft. or above, so there is no wonder if we get suffered from breathlessness or headache. Though, we should try to keep our pace slow & steady.
Please do not forget to carry water bottle, down jacket, raincoat and some dry fruits & chocolates with you. Everybody has different pace of walking. People might not be around when you them. So, you have to be self-dependent in basic things.
After making an up hill trek for about 4 hours or so, we will reach to a high pass where we will find Tibetan prayers flags fluttering. This is called ‘Dolma La pass’ (5800 m.). This is the highest point that we will be crossing over during this divine trip. After making a gentle descend from the pass, we will find our self near a tine glacial lake. This is ‘Gauri Kunda’.
From Gauri kunda, the trail leads us rapidly down through the area full of boulders and loose pebbles. Going down can be difficult and painful than coming up. If we have taken horse, we can’t even use it in this bit. After trekking down for another 1 & half hour or so from Gauri Kunda, we will eventually reach to the valley floor. From this point on, the trail is easy & flat. It is another 2 hours easy-walk to reach Zutulphuk from here.
– Overnight Norpel Guesthouse or Monastery guesthouse (Mud house) | dormitory.
– Deraphuk to Zutulphuk: 22 km | 9 hours,
– Elevation of Zutulphuk: 4820 m. | 15810 fts.
DAY 11: TREK, ZUTULPHUK TO TREK ENDING POINT, & DRIVE BACK TO OLD DZONGBA
Today is the last day of this divine circumambulation. Morning after breakfast, we pack up our gear and move on to Darchen. The entire trail is easy and flat. The trek takes about 3 hours to complete.Our Vehicle is waiting for us at the final point; which is before Darchen. We board on the Bus then start our journey to further destination. First, we reach to the point (eastern shore of manasarovar) where we had left our vehicle. We board on the same vehicle and move ahead.
We will drive over the Mayum La pass, military barricade, Paryang, sand-dunes area then eventually reach to old Dzongba in the evening. Picnic lunch will be served somewhere after the Mayum La Pass.
– Zutulphuk to Darchen: 8 km | 3 hours walk.
– Darchen to Dzongba: 350 km | 5 hours.
– Elevation of old Dzongba: 4500 m. | 14760 fts.
DAY 12: OLD DZONGBA TO KYIRONG
Morning after breakfast, we pack up our belongings then set off for Paryang. Today, we traverse approximately 210 km to reach Kyirong. On the way, we cross Saga and river Brahmaputra then drive take right turn to Kyirong before we reach Peiku lake.
– Overnight Guesthouse (Dormitory room with common Tibetan toilet)
– Old Dzongba to Kyirong: 280 km | 6 hours.
– Elevation of Kyirong: 2600 m. | 8528 fts.
DAY 13: RETURN BACK TO KATHMANDU
After breakfast, we drive down to the border then continue drive to Kathmandu. The drive takes about 6 hours to reach Kathmandu. Evening free for independent activities.
– Overnight Hotel
– Kyirong to Border: 22 km | 45 minutes.
– Shyabribeshi to Kathmandu: 170 km | 6 hours.
DAY 14: DEPARTURE
Transfer to international airport for your flight back home.
TOUR PRICE: INR. 1,25,000/- per person.
Complimentary: 15 paying + 1 pax free.
Note: Each complimentary member will be charged INR. 20,000/- against his/ her visa, permit and entry fees for Kailash- Manasarovar region.
- Three nights Hotels in Kathmandu on twin sharing with all vegetarian meals.
- International arrival and departure transfers.
- Half day sightseeing tour of Pashupatinath, Guheswori Mata temple & sleeping Vishnu.
- Vegetarian Indian meals prepared by our cook during Kailash yatra
- Guesthouse accommodation in Tibet (dormitory) for the entire journey
- Kathmandu- Kodari border- Kathmandu transfers by private Non A/c Bus
- Nepali staff (experienced Tour Leader, Professional Sherpa Guide and cook and helper boys).
- Transfer in Tibet by Luxury Bus
- Supporting truck in Tiber for carrying foods & equipment.
- Transportation in Kailash-Manasarovar area by Green vehicle (pollution free vehicle)
- Manasarovar Parikrama by Eco vehicle
- Necessary travel permits, entry permit & other necessary documents.
- Kitchen equipment and fuel.
- Yak & yak-man for Parikrama part (ratio of yaks: 3 passengers = 1 yak).
- Environmental protection fees
- Basic medical kit (first aid) during the trip.
- Oxygen cylinders for emergency use.
- Drinking water during the tour (3 bottles each per day).
- Tibet group visas for all group members and Nepali staff.
- Salary, foods, accommodation, transport for staff
- Down jackets for all members during the trip.
- Asthapad visit for those who are not taking part in Parikrama (by walk only)
- All applicable taxes & service charges
- International flight ticket.
- Personal horse for riding (It costs approx. INR. 18,000 for three days).
- Porter during the parikarma (It costs approx. INR. 6,000 for three days).
- Bottled soft drinks and beverages (coke, fanta, energy drinks, etc.)
- Personal expenses, laundry, telephone service etc.
- Nepal visa fees for NRI’s.
- Personal medicine, personal travel insurance and insurance for emergency rescue & evacuation.
- Any extra expenses incurred due to unforeseen circumstances and natural calamity.
- Visa splitting charge & transport cost in case of emergency or on early return.
- Extra hotel night in Kathmandu incase of early return from Tibet
- Tips & gratitude’s for staff
- Adjustment in Nepal (refund or service) against any unutilized services in Tibet
HOTELS/ GUESTHOUSES WE USE DURING THE TRIP:
|PLACES||NAME OF HOTELS||REMARKS|
|KATHMANDU||HOTEL MARSHYANGDI OR SIMILAR
|SHYABRUBESHI||LOCAL GUESTHOUSE||LOCAL GUESTHOUSE|
|KYIRONG||HOTEL YING XING||DORMITORY ROOM WITH COMMON TOILET. NO SHOWER.|
|OLD DZONGBA||SHISHPANGA GUESTHOUSE||DORMITORY ROOM WITH COMMON TOILET. NO SHOWER.|
(CHIU GOMPA SITE)
|PARAMARTH GUESTHOUSE OR SIMILAR||DORMITORY ROOM WITH COMMON TOILET. NO SHOWER.|
|DERAPHUK||SHISHPANGAM GUESTHOUSE||DORMITORY ROOM WITH COMMON TOILET. NO SHOWER.|
|ZUTULPHUK||NORPEL GUESTOUSE OR MUDHOUSE||DORMITORY ROOM WITH COMMON TOILET. NO SHOWER.|
NOTE: All departure dates are arrival dates in Kathmandu.